Tarifa is a unique city to visit during your holidays. It is well known for its wind and waves, perfect for water sports like surf and kitesurfing wich make its beaches some of the most famous and perfect for these activities. Even if you just want to spend your holidays among the calm and relax of its blond sand beaches and enjoy its clear clean waters, Tarifa is the perfect spot in southern Spain for your next holidays. But you will probably enjoy more the visit to the monuments, parks and beaches if your stomach is full with the very best typical dishes in Tarifa.
Tarifa is more than wind and waves, is a great land for gastronomy, a place with a lot of traditional dishes like ’embutidos, chicharrones y atún’ (cold meats, pork cracklings and Tuna). La residencia brings you some of the very best dishes you can eat in tarifa. So during your next trip to tarifa you will perfectly know where to eat in Tarifa.
After enjoying the wildest nature parks around the region, the old monuments in the town and finding out about the unspoiled spots hidden in Tarifa, you stomach will be demanding for food, for sure. That’s the reason why we wanna show you five of the most tasty dishes in Tarifa:
1. Cajillas: they are a traditional christmas pastry in the town. So it’s most likely that you can find it during winter season. ‘Las cajillas’ are a typical glazed dessert from Tarifa, formed by a biscuit basis and an almond dough. It takes three days to prepare all the ingredients before cooking them.
2. Caballa a la moruna: it’s a traditional fish dish in Tarifa (apart of the Tuna one, wich we will mention at the end of this article). This dish has a clear muslim influence and you can taste it most likely all the year.
3. Tocino de cielo: another dessert for those who have a craving for sweet during coffee time. This one is elaborated with a caramel coated egg and sugar basis, with a powerful yellow color and a wobbly shape. It is said that this dessert was born when the egg white was used in the wine production many years ago. The excess egg was used by the nuns to make this dessert, in order not to waste so much eggs. Now, this traditional dessert of Tarifa is one of the most famous in Andalusia.
4. Caracoles con tomate: this is a very typical dish from Tarifa during the months before summer (May and June). Once the snails are clean and slime dry, it is combined with meant, garlic and several aromatic spices and plants that will define the final taste. It is covered with a homemade tomato sauce.
5. Atún: without the slightest doubt, if your are visiting Tarifa, you must not forget to try the Tuna dish in any of its many dishes: ventresca, lomo, ceviche, tartar, etc. Tarifa is well known for its fishing tradition and for offering some of the very best Tuna fishes in the market, specially the wild red Tuna from Almadraba, Don’t by shy to ask in any restaurant for their Tuna special dish. It will not disappoint you!
Clearly, you will find a thousand more different dishes in the town, since Tarifa has a wide variety of gastronomy. We will encourage you to share your other traditional dishes tasted in Tarifa by leaving a comment with the places and dishes you have tasted during your holidays here.
We all together can create the perfect gastronomic route in Tarifa, and we should. Because the beauty of its beaches and monuments are best tasted when the stomach is well cared for!